Jacob Hernandez/UTSA Athletics
Men's Basketball

Germany and Richards notch double-doubles as UTSA falls at WKU

BOWLING GREEN, Ky.– For the second time this season, UTSA got double-doubles from both Jacob Germany and DJ Richards, however, the Roadrunners were unable to leave victorious as Western Kentucky pulled away, winning 81-74 on Thursday evening at E.A. Diddle Arena.
UTSA (7-17, 1-12 C-USA) was able to build a ten-point lead in the first half and took a one-point lead into the break but WKU, who had lost five straight, came out of half with a purpose and pulled off a seven-point win. Western Kentucky (12-11, 4-8 C-USA) got a game-high 22 points from Dontaie Allen along with 17 from Emmanuel Akot and 14 from Jairus Hamilton.
Germany led the team with 20 points to go along with his 13 rebounds. It's the fourth time this season Germany has pulled in 13 rebounds, the most by any Roadrunner all year. The double-double is also Germany's seventh of the season and 23rd of his career. Richards scored 17 points to pair with his ten rebounds. Richards recorded his second-career double-double, with his first also coming in a game where Germany had a double-double (FIU, 1/21). Christian Tucker rounded out the double-digit scorers for UTSA, as the sophomore tallied 11 points and six rebounds in 31 minutes of action. Freshman Massal Diouf recorded a career-high six points to pair with five rebounds. Japhet Medor returned to the starting lineup for the Roadrunners and had eight points, four rebounds and a team-high three assists.
The Rundown
Western Kentucky opened the game by winning the opening tip and canning a triple, courtesy of Allen, to take a 3-0 lead. The Roadrunners answered with a three of their own, as Richards came back down the court to even the score. That would be the only WKU lead and only tie of the half as UTSA controlled the action through the first 20 minutes. The UTSA lead grew to be as large as 10 points with 6:32 remaining. From there, the Hilltoppers began to chip away. WKU was able to whittle the lead down to one with 2:01 remaining thanks to a pair of Dayvion McKnight free throws. Back down the court, John Buggs III buried his only three-pointer of the night to put the Roadrunners back up by four. WKU countered the blow with one of their own, knocking down a three-pointer and cutting the Roadrunner lead back to one. UTSA would hold serve for the final 50 seconds and went into the break up one, leading 40-39. WKU's star player, McKnight, had to exit the game in the first half due to injury and did not return. At the break, Germany had 10 while Richards had 12.
UTSA got an early trip to the charity stripe in the second half where Diouf knocked down 1-of-2 free throws to go up 41-39. WKU countered with an alley-oop to knot the game up at 41. From there, the Hilltoppers gained the lead and extended it to as large as eight. The Roadrunners trailed for the majority of the second half but began to mount a comeback around the 10-minute mark and tied the game up at 62-all with 8:19 remaining thanks to a Richards three-ball. A Jacob Germany trip to the foul line later and UTSA found itself with a two-point lead. On the following possession, WKU knocked down a three to retake the lead and wouldn't give it up for the remainder of the game. The Hilltoppers would push the lead to as large as eight before going on to win by seven.
Up Next
Following its Thursday night road contest, UTSA will move on to Murfreesboro, Tenn. for a meeting with Middle Tennessee this Saturday, February 4. Saturday's game is scheduled to tip at 5 p.m., will be streamed on ESPN+ and will be broadcast on Ticket 760 AM.
- UTSA -